It’s official: video is king!
Never before have we had such an effective and cheap marketing tool at our fingertips. But, getting started in video seem daunting; What equipment do you need? Do you have to stand in front of the camera? What do you say?
This is why we recommend that everyone start with Member Stories. They’re easy to film and edit, require minimal equipment, and best of all, you don’t have to be in front of the camera. Here’s an example of a great member story we shot recently:
These videos are incredibly powerful! They share your member’s experiences and love for your box, without the tacky “I lost 4000 pounds!” you see in normal testimonials. They’re also extremely flexible; Four member interviews (filmed in less than an hour) can be turned in to:
4 x Member Stories
4+ x Themed Videos (ie. Mums Who CrossFit)
40+ x Micro Videos (10-30 sec videos used for Instagram)
40+ x Social Images (screenshots with quotes overlayed)
Sounds bloody great, right? It is. But one thing that holds Affiliate owners back is not knowing what questions to ask to get the right answers to make a great video. So here’s my quick cheat sheet on what to say (and not say) to create great Member Story videos
- Relax, have fun and smile. If you look like you’re having a good time so will your member, which makes for a nicer video.
- Think about the answer that you want and reverse engineer the question to get it.
- Word the question so that the answer stands alone with. You don’t want to have to include your voice in the video or worse, put the question on the screen as a title.
- Avoid questions like “What’s your favourite movement?” or “What was your first WOD?”. The people watching at home really don’t care.
- Don’t be afraid to “direct” the member. If they are struggling with an answer or they missed an important point, feel free to suggest they start the answer again. They’ll always be happy to have a second, more practised go (no one wants to look silly).
We ask these questions to every member.
- What is your name, age and occupation?
This helps the viewer relate to the member and gives them a reason to keep watching.
- How did you find CrossFit ABC?
Ask them for the full story. There’s often gems hidden in there and you can always edit it down later.
- If someone at a BBQ asked you “ What is CrossFit ABC?”, what would you say?
You want an honest, candid answer here. If they spend too much time trying to formulate a polished response, just tell them to relax and tell you whatever comes to mind.
- How has CrossFit ABC changed who you are?
Here, you’re fishing for both measurable results (“I’ve lost 14kg”) and lifestyle/mindset changes (“I feel more confident with my body”).
- A lot of people are worried they’re not fit enough to try CrossFit. What would you say to them?
This is a good question to end on as it usually elicits a “Just give it a go. You won’t regret it” type response, which is a nice way to wrap up the video.
We also tailor a list of questions specifically for each type of person. These questions are focused around dispelling the concerns and highlighting the interests of each group. Below are two examples…
25-35yo Female Mum
Concerns & Interests: Getting bulky, not enough time, being a good mother, community, etc.
- A lot of women out there are worried that lifting heavy weights will make them bulky. How do you feel about that?
- You’re a busy mum. How do you find time to fit in 3 CrossFit classes per week?
- Do you think CrossFit makes you a better mum?
- A lot of other mums are worried they’re not fit enough to try CrossFit. What would you say to them?
40-50yo Male Professional
Concerns & Interests: Old injuries, not enough time, being successful at work, longevity & quality of life, etc.
- You suffered some injuries in your earlier years of playing sport. How has CrossFit ABC helped you work through these?
- You’re a busy guy. How do you find time to fit in 3 CrossFit classes per week?
- How has CrossFit improved your professional life?
- Do you see CrossFit as a way of ensuring your longevity and quality of life?
Asking the right questions (and getting the right answers) is by far the most important part of a Member Story video. With the guide above, a smartphone, and a bit of simple editing you can turn your members into the most powerful and authentic marketing tools in your business.
Now get to work sharing your Members Stories!